Thursday, May 5, 2016

"Pop. Six. Squish. Unh-Uh. Cicero. Lipschitz." : Chicago! The Musical

One of my FAVORITE things to do is go to musicals. Musical theater makes me so happy. I grew up with my family constantly going to musicals, plays, and ballets, and it has grown to be a large part of my family culture. 

In recent years I have been fortunate enough to have seen Wicked, Mama Mia, Moulin Rouge, Book of Mormon, The Sound of Music, MoTown, Beauty & The Beast, Lion King, Sister Act, Matilda, and Cinderella. Here are some of my past looks I've worn to the theater::


(Moulin Rouge)

(The Sound of Music)

(Beauty and the Beast)





My most recent visit to the theater has been to see CHICAGO! As one of my favorite movies, I had been wanting to see this musical for a long time. It was phenomenal. As a period piece, it gave me the rare opportunity to have a little fun dressing up for the musical. As Chicago is supposed to be set in the 1920's, I pulled my inspiration from a combination of looks that were popular during that time and looks from the performers. 
During the 1920s, one of the predominant styles was the flapper look. The dresses were often knee-length with a dropped waist-line and sleeveless. Common features and accessories of this look include: sequins, beads, fringes, satin, flowers, lace, fur, caps, and headbands.



























I decided to go with somewhat of a combination of the two. I started out with looking through my closet for a little black dress (an essential item that should be in every girl's closet). I found two. The one I didn't go with showed a little too much skin. The dress I chose, from H&M, is not traditionally a flapper styled dress, lacking the dropped waist-line. However, it is less form fitting which was a unique characteristic of flapper style dresses.



The high-low style of this dress allowed for me to incorporate these amazing tights, from H&M, which is a gem taken from the more dressy performers' costumes from the musical. I paired these with my black strap pumps, from ALDO, adding to the classic look.




ACCESSORIES PLEASE! When thinking of the 1920's, my mind immediately went to pearls. The longer worn pearls were a classic accessory of this time. These faux pearls I found in my mom's forgotten jewelry. What also comes to mind when I think about this time period is the glamour. ->The Roaring 20's. I wanted to glamorize this look and thought fur would help to achieve this. This amazing fur coat was actually my late grandmother's. I absolutely love that I can wear some of her pieces today.





I fell in love with some of the all black performer costumes. This look is another option for someone feeling more adventurous or could even work as a costume. I removed the dress and pearls and traded them for an oversized tuxedo jacket (borrowed from my dad). I didn't have the top hat to complete this look, however I love how the tights and shoes pair with the jacket.








XOXO,

PoeSoPosh


No comments:

Post a Comment